OccupationP.A. For The Defense
Columbia University in the City of New York
Florida State University School of Law
Phone: (386) 252-2501
Gerard F. KeatingP.A. - For The Defense
Mr. Keating is a very experienced trial lawyer with 33 years in the courtroom and in private practice. Among his many professional accomplishments, Mr. Keating has been certified as a specialist by the Florida Bar as a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer from 1989-2004. Gerry Keating - For the DefenseHe has tried 27 murder trials and 57 jury trials. Mr. Keating is a refined criminal defense attorney and he is prepared to handle any criminal matter that arises in your circumstances. Mr. Keating has skillfully handled many Court-appointed high profile murder cases including State v. Deidre Hunt, State v. Roy McDuffie, and State v. Jonathan Trull. Through his diligent representation, Mr. Keating has saved 8 people from Florida’s death row.
Mr. Keating has tried numerous varied civil cases from defamation to landlord-tenant property disputes -- and everything in between. One of Mr. Keating’s trial performances was shown twice on Court TV once in 2009 and again in 2010. Not only is Mr. Keating prepared to take your case all the way to trial through litigation and ultimately through final judgment, he is also prepared to engage in settlement negotiations, since most cases settle before trial. Mr. Keating has appeared on National Television for his cases including an appearance on Inside Edition, NBC and the Oxygen Channel.
Mr. Keating is not only an exceptional trial lawyer, but he is active in his community. He currently sits as the President of the Board of Directors of Haven Recovery Center, formerly known as Serenity of Volusia, Inc. He is also the proud founder of the Daytona Beach Rugby Football Club (a.k.a. The Coconuts). Mr. Keating is still an active supporter of the DBRFC and he is proud that they have championships at the State and South level and competed Nationally in Sevens Rugby. In 2010, Mr. Keating was inducted into the Florida State University Rugby Hall of Fame for his playing years while an FSU law student. Mr. Keating is also Vice Chairman of the Volusia County Law Library Board of Trustees.
Gerard Francis Keating grew up in Westbury, New York, the son of a strict Catholic Mother and iron worker Father. He was one of eight brothers and sisters. His siblings have pursued varied careers, including a Franciscan Priest, Plumber, U.S. Army Colonel, School teacher, Lawyer and a Police Detective. He attended Chaminade High School in Mineola, New York and went on to graduate from Columbia University in Manhattan in 1975. After graduation, Gerry moved to Freeport, Bahamas where he taught English and Religion at Grand Bahama Catholic High School -- all the while continuing with his passion, rugby.
A move to Daytona Beach in 1977 resulted in work at Daytona Beach Community College as a tutor during the day and as a waiter at night. Gerry met his future wife, Sue, on her 18th birthday in 1978 while working at the World Famous San Remo Restaurant. Soon after they met, Sue traded her Gator roots to follow him on to Florida State University where he pursued his law degree. They were married in 1980 at St. Paul Catholic Church. Gerard Keating graduated with a degree form the FSU School of Law that same year, returning home to Daytona Beach where he has been practicing law ever since. Gerry and Sue have two children, Sean and Jessie Keating. Sean went to Heaven at age 22 and Jessie, after graduating from Florida State University, continued in her father's footsteps by attending the University of Alabama School of Law. Jessie graduated from the University of Alabama with honors in May 2010, and is currently a practicing Florida lawyer.
Years in Practice
Admitted to the State Bar in 1981, Gerard F. Keating, P.A. has maintained a successful Law Practice over the past 29 years including extensive Trial Experience. Although Gerry is well-known for his many high profile criminal trials and is currently certified as a specialist in capital cases, he has always maintained a general law practice.
Gerry is a graduate of Columbia University in the City of New York and the Florida State University School of Law.
- Florida Bar: October 28, 1981
- United States District Court Middle District Orlando: November 6, 1981
- United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit: June 16, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court: April 5, 1999
- United States District Court Middle Michigan: November 3, 1992
- DUI - Driving While License is Suspended or Revoked (DWLSR) - Traffic Violations Defense
- Probate: Wills, Probate, Real Estate
- Litigation and Trials
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law: Divorce, Custody, Child Support, Adoptions, Alimony
- Contracts - Business Formation
- Personal Injury - Auto Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Property Issues: Foreclosures, Land-Sale Purchase Agreements, Mortgages
- Florida Bar: October 28, 1981
- Volusia County Bar Association
- Volusia Civil Trial Lawyers Association, Vice President 2005-present
- Volusia Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (FACDL)
- Inns of Court, Barrister
- Volusia County Law Library, Inc. Vice Chairman 2004-present
- Attorneys Title Services (ATS) Member since 1982
- Volunteer Lawyers Project since 1983
- Daytona State College, Adjunct Professor, paralegal program, 1981-2003
- Lecturer at the Florida Sheriffs Civil Process meetings
- Trial Experience: 57 Jury Trials, 30 non-jury Trials and 10 Administrative Trials